Thursday, March 4, 2010

My best mommy moment yet

I had the most wonderful moment with Brooks two weeks ago. It started out as a normal Friday and Brooks and I were busy playing and cleaning the house while Pat was at work. Round about 4:00 I got a call from Pat with some rather bad news. UTA was doing a mass layoff and Pat did not survive it. We were devastated! After a few brief exchanges to make sure that Pat wasn't joking (my husband the Joker) I hung up the phone and started to cry right there in the kitchen. I sat down and covered my face and all I could think of was, "What are we gonna do". Then I felt this little hand on mine. I looked up and there was Brooks. Looking at me with the sweetest expression of concern on his face. He started to pat my hand very softly and say "mommy" in a tone meaning, it's okay. Then he started to wipe the tears of my face with both his hands and kiss my checks, all the while in that same sweet tone saying "mommy". It was the sweetest moment I have had with him. I'm getting a little teary eyed just remembering. He did such a good job making me feel better. And despite how upset I felt, I couldn't help the overwhelming feeling that came over me that everything was going to be all right. Thanks to my baby boy.

2 comments:

Kylene said...

Awww! What a sweetheart, Kim! I'm so sorry Pat got laid off, too. But Brooks is a wise soul in that little body, isn't he? It will be alright! Let me know if there's anything I can do to help you guys? I mean it! If it wasn't midnight, I'd call you right now. :) Love ya! *HUGS*

Mary said...

I'm teary eyed reading about it! Kids can be so compassionate. Hoping things work out for you and Pat soon. I'm learning that there are worse things than being poverty-stricken. Keep your chin up!
Mary